Updated: May 4
Who doesn’t like pizza? It’s hard to find anyone who doesn’t like it. In our family we all love pizza, especially thin crust with a good garlicky sauce. Yum! Good pizza is the key to a good weeknight dinner, but we're all busy, and making pizza from scratch can be a long process. But you're in luck! This recipe is fault-free, quick to make, and delicious, without any harmful ingredients. It will make you feel like you're eating at a good restaurant-quality pizza. With only a few ingredients that you most likely have on hand already, pizza night can be every night. So let’s begin.
Let's do it...
Prep time: 50 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
Yield: 4 12-inch pizzas
Author: Inna of innichkachef.com
3½ cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 package instant yeast
1 teaspoon raw cane sugar
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1¼ cup warm water
Marinara Sauce Ingredients
1 can 28 oz San Marzano whole peeled tomatoes
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon dry oregano
1 tablespoon dry basil
1 head of garlic
Pinch of red pepper flakes
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Margarita Topping Ingredients
1-pound fresh mozzarella
1 cup fresh basil
1 cup shredded parmesan
1. To make the dough, add all ingredients at once into a mixing bowl and mix with the hook attachment until the dough comes together.
2. Transfer the dough to a floured surface and give it a few folds (not heavy kneading).
3. Transfer the dough to an olive oil-greased bowl and cover with kitchen towels. You're going to proof the dough (let it rise) while you work on the next few steps. See recipe notes below if you want to proof it in the oven to speed up the process.
4. Preheat the oven to 450F.
5. For the sauce, place your tomatoes into a bowl and, using a hand dough chopper, chop the tomatoes. Little chunks are ok; they give a more homemade charm to your sauce in the end.
6. In a saucepan, add the olive oil and anchovies. As soon as it starts to sizzle, add the grated or chopped garlic.
7. Cook for 30 seconds to a minute, then add the rest of ingredients.
8. Cover and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
9. Meanwhile, divide the dough into 4 pieces and roll out one at a time, using flour to prevent stickiness.
10. Spoon sauce over the pizza (not too much). Add fresh mozzarella, drizzle with olive oil and place on a pizza stone if you have one. If you don't have a pizza stone, a baking sheet will work just fine.
11. Bake 15 minutes, or until the cheese is nice and bubbly.
12. After the pizza is out of the oven, apply some fresh basil.
How to proof dough quickly in the oven?
Simply place a glass baking dish on the bottom of your oven with hot steaming water. Put your dough on the top rack of your oven, covered with a kitchen towel, and close the oven door. The steam and heat from the boiling water will create the perfect environment for the dough.
How to freeze extra baked pizza?
I usually wrap each slice individually and freeze up to one month for an emergency lunch or dinner.