Updated: Oct 16
Yesterday was a very special day in my son’s life: his best friend turned 5. His name is Miles, and he is super cute and smart. When I talk to him, I feel like he’s older than 5. He’s such a little gentleman! Thomas has been so excited and couldn’t wait for his best friend’s birthday. A few days ago, Thomas asked Miles what kind of cake he likes. Miles said he likes chocolate cake, but his little sister asked for chocolate cupcakes. We decided why not make both?!
This recipe makes one 6-inch cake (two tiers) and 12 regular-size cupcakes. It is a very moist, rich cake, and the Dutch cocoa powder provides some extra special chocolate flavor. Dutch process cocoa is a classic European-style unsweetened cocoa powder that has a slightly reddish color and very rich flavor. This king of cocoa is my favorite to make chocolate cake or chocolate brownies. It’s full fat and low in acidity, which gives it that rich chocolate flavor without a hint of bitterness.
We decided to make both chocolate frosting and vanilla buttercream to make them extra special, but you can make it with one or the other or neither. Whatever you choose, your taste buds won't be disappointed! Leave me a comment and let me know how you like them. And tell me if you tried them with or without icing!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes (15 for cupcakes)
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: Two 6-inch cakes and 12 cupcakes
Author: Inna of innichkachef.com
1¾ cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
¾ cups Dutch cocoa powder
1½ teaspoons baking powder
1½ teaspoons baking soda
1½ teaspoons salt
1 cup milk
½ cup olive oil
1 teaspoon vanilla paste or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Grease and flour two 6-inch round baking pans. Add cupcakes liners to cupcake pan.
3. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla; beat with electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.
4. Bake cake pans for 30 minutes and cupcakes for 15 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
Chocolate Frosting Ingredients
1 cup powdered sugar
⅔ cup Dutch cocoa powder
1 cup whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3-4 tablespoons milk
Chocolate Frosting Directions
1. Stir together powdered sugar and cocoa in medium mixer bowl.
2. Stir in whipping cream and vanilla. Beat on low speed until stiff peaks form, scraping the side of the bowl as you go. If the mixture gets very stiff, add 1-2 tablespoons of milk at a time to reach the desired consistency.
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting Ingredients (optional)
1 cup butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups confectioner’s sugar
Vanilla Buttercream Directions
1. Add all ingredients to mixing bowl.
2. Beat on medium-high speed until pale and creamy, usually about 2-3 minutes.
3. Use frosting to decorate cake and cupcakes.