Updated: Jul 15, 2021
We all need healthy desserts once a while, and especially around the holidays. This Carrot Cake is secretly healthy and can suit anybody; it's gluten and dairy free. The thick creamy coconut frosting will make you go for seconds. There is one secret ingredient that makes this cake super moist and soft.
A few years ago I made this cake for the very first time as a birthday present for my dear friend who is the Godfather to my oldest son. He is a big lover of carrot cake. And by the way when it was served, I didn't mention anything about how healthy this cake is vs classic carrot cake. He ate the cake truly enjoying every bite. If he knew it was healthier than classic carrot cake, he probably wouldn't have touched it. Healthy eating is not his thing, but in my house that's what we eat. Here are some other favorite recipes you may enjoy:
Please, if you make this cake, come back and tell me how it went. I would love to hear from you!
I'm a mom trying to feed my kids as healthy as possible, so using veggies in deserts is not a new thing in my cooking and baking routine. We love carrot recipes!
What do I need to make this cake?
Carrots - such a basic ingredient and it's something we typically have in the fridge
Zucchini - this secret ingredient makes for an extra moist cake, but if you don't have it, feel free to replace it with carrots
Almond flour - I make my own flour most of the time by using this mill. But sometimes I like to use this brand
Eggs - large eggs is a must in this recipe
Honey - my preference is always to use local raw honey
Olive oil - or any oil you have on hand, such a grapeseed oil or avocado oil
Celtic salt - just because it's my all time favorite salt
Vanilla paste - or vanilla extract, whichever you have on hand
Baking soda, Cinnamon
Let's make it...
Prep time: 10 minutes
Baking time: 35 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Author: Inna of innichkachef.com
Serves: 12 portions
Ingredients for the cake
2 cups shredded carrots (no need to peel)
1 cup shredded zucchini
3 cups almond flour
1 cup of walnuts
1 cup of raisins
5 large eggs
1/2 cup of honey
1/4 cup of olive oil
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon Celtic salt
Chocolate nibs or chopped walnuts (for garnish)
Ingredients for the frosting
2 cans of full fat coconut milk (refrigerated)
3-4 Tablespoons of honey
1 teaspoon of vanilla paste
Preheat the oven to 350F.
Chop nuts and add to the bowl with the dry ingredients, along with the raisins.
4. To the bowl with wet ingredients: whisk eggs, oil, and honey. Next add carrots and zucchini. Mix all together.
5. Add wet ingredients in with the dry ingredients, and gently fold until all ingredients are evenly incorporated.
6. Pour the batter into a greased rectangle 9 inches by 12 inch pan.
7. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until cake reaches 180F. After the cake has cooled for 5 minutes transfer to a cooling rack, until it reaches room temperature.
8. To make frosting, open two cans of coconut milk, and only scoop out the cream reserving the coconut water for another use. Add honey and vanilla, beat all together with a whisk attachment (I used this one), until the mixture becomes fluffy and smooth.
9. Apply cream to the top of the cake, garnish as you desire.